The Nominations Committee is a Standing Committee of the Board. It is responsible for ensuring, on a continuing basis, that the Board of ASC is composed of qualified and skilled persons capable of, and committed to, providing effective leadership to ASC.
In fulfilling its mandate, the Committee will perform the following key tasks.
- Present a slate of qualified persons to stand for election to the Board;
- Ensure that a slate of qualified candidates is nominated for election each year and that in any given election no candidate gains office by acclamation;
- Where appropriate, identify candidates for future nomination to the Board and maintain this information for use by ASC and future Nominations Committees;
- Where possible, carry out these duties in a manner that encourages a long-term view of ASC’s leadership needs, as well as Board succession planning; and
- Perform such additional tasks as may be delegated to the Committee by the Board from time to time.
This committee will be a Limited Agent, of the Board. As such, the Nominations Committee will conduct the nomination process as outlined in the ASC By-law and Policy at ASC expense. Otherwise the Nominations Committee is responsible for research, the proposal of action and/or preparation of nominations and Eligibility policy recommendations to the Board of Directors for approval.
The Nominations Committee will be responsible for policy research and oversight of the following organizational policies.
- Determination of Eligible Candidates
The Committee shall be composed of three (3) persons who are members of ASC. One of these persons may be a current Director. While serving as a member of the Committee, a person shall not be eligible to be nominated for election to the Board. Upon appointment, The Board of Directors shall appoint a Chairperson.
The Board appoints members to the Committee. Members will serve from appointment until the re-striking of the committee. The Board shall ensure continuity from one year to the next by appointing no more than two (2) new members to the Committee in any given year. Should a vacancy occur on the Committee, for whatever reason, the Board may appoint a qualified person to fill that vacancy for the remainder of the vacant position’s term. The Board may remove any member of the Committee.
The Committee shall meet by telephone or in person, as required.
The Committee will receive the necessary resources from ASC to fulfill its mandate, and may have staff persons assigned to assist the Committee with its work.
This section must be completed by the Nominations Committee in conjunction with the annual Strategic Plan. The objectives must be simple, measurable and time-bound. The objectives must be reviewed and/or renewed annually.
The Board of Directors will evaluate the performance of the Committee. The performance of the committee will be assessed against the accomplishment of yearly objectives/deliverables. This review will take place immediately prior to the AGM.
The Committee will report to the Board, in writing, at least six months prior to the Annual General Meeting and each subsequent Board Meeting. The Committee will report to Members at the Annual General Meeting, in the form of a written report.
Review and Approval
The Board of Directors will review these terms of reference every two years.